La Vida Parece Un Cuento

February 23rd, 2016 bjrodr17

There are some days that make you stop and wonder if destiny is more probable than chance. Why do things play out in front of you the way they do?

On my way from walking back to the apartment from class I saw a motochorro (thieves on a motorcycle) tag team steal this older man’s phone about 20 feet in front of me. I had headphones on at the time so, despite the music, it all played out like a silent movie. The man chased the thief into the street full of cars, they’re both on foot. The man’s yarmulke flew off his head as he stumbled from stepping off the curb. Luckily the cars on the road are stopped because it’s a red light. The man tripped and fell on all fours, getting some road burn on his palms and knees I imagine. The thief hopped on the back of his partners bike who was waiting in the traffic then the motochorros weaved between the stopped cars and sped away.

I thought it was really weird that the thief who took the phone was wearing a bright pink and orange button down shirt. The scene entero was unexpected but also very much warned of. A bystander helped pick the yarmulke up off the sidewalk. The man who had his phone stolen seemed stirred by the speed of it all but not so surprised as he was disappointed. I think everyone on the street, including the man, was having the same thought, “I’ll know better than to absentmindedly use my phone like that”. I stuffed my hands in my pockets and clutched my phone as I passed by.

*

Closer to the apartment I almost collided with a man who was darting out of supermarket. As he called, “Señora”, I noticed he was holding two phones; one a touchscreen phone and the other was a brick. As I looked back I saw him chase after an elderly woman to return the old phone that she left in the store, “Señora, dejó tu teléfono”. She looked back and laughed with surprise and embarrassment that she absentmindedly left it behind. I continue on my way and take my sweaty hands out of my pockets to wipe them off on my shorts.